From our valley in the Apennines, up & over the alps, with a night in Atlanta we finally arrived in Austin! After a whirlwind week in Texas for a family wedding, I’ve got TONS of posts to finish up and share with you…from the long flights & even longer delays (strikes in France both Air Traffic Controllers and Ground Control) to Blue Bonnets, BBQ and too much TexMex (Ok – that not really possible)!
One of the rare flights over the alps with a clear view!
A few tips from transatlantic travel tips:
- Book through the airline – not a consolidator especially if you have multiple connections. You may find a cheaper flight but you may not be covered if you miss a connecting flight on a different carrier. Booking through KLM for example means they will ensure your entire trip. Plus when we were delayed in Paris and missed our connection in Atlanta – room & board vouchers were ready as we stepped off the plane.
- Have patience. Lines will be long. Have your ipod/iphone/ipad – whatever loaded up with music, podcasts even tv shows – it will be a much needed distraction when all you can do is stare at the departures display.
- Be comfortable. You can still dress nice but just be comfortable and layer. This is not the time to break in your heels (beware – your feet may swell!) – you could be making a mad dash from Terminal 4 at JFK to Terminal 2 while your plane is boarding! (Worse yet is Atlanta – I had no idea how HUGE this airport is – damn near a 30 minute transfer between Domestic and International terminals!) And I can’t believe I’m saying this – you may end up sleeping on the floor because for the first time at an airport, I just did!
- Check for mini-upgrades. Anything is better than being jammed in the middle seat at the back of the plane. Delta offers mini upgrades for Premium & Comfort + Seating and let me tell you it’s worth it – at least on the long haul flights. Spend a few extra bucks when picking your seat selection and it will pay off greatly in the end.
- Pack LIGHT!! 6 nights or 6 weeks – it’s the same bag. House rule: you carry your own bag, so be sure you can.
- Avoid the following: Charles de Gaul Airport – horrible. Alitalia Airlines – even worse. Changing Airports – find a better deal landing at Heathrow & departing from Stansted – it’s a suckers bet. The headache is not worth it.
But before we can even settle in at home, we are back on the road heading north-west to Piedmont to shoot the first of a series of films highlighting the little known family-run wineries of the region! (More to come on this later!!)
Here’s what’s coming up this week: The HOTTEST place to eat in Palma de Mallorca, Texas BBQ and a a few of my favorite Elderflower Recipes for Spring!